Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Oliver and Jack

"Oliver & Jack:  In Axminster Workhouse" by Christina E Pilz is the 3rd volume in the Oliver & jack series.  Oliver as in Oliver Twist.  The series takes place several years after the original Twist and introduces the reader to the late teen-aged  Oliver.  Oliver and his boyfriend Jack have been framed for stealing books and arrested.  While they await punishment they have been placed into the Axminster Workhouse.  Here Oliver begins to spiral down into a depression and his worst nightmare reliving his past.  The couple then begins to endure the harshest treatments and abuse. 
I'm not sure this would be called fan fiction, but to bring to life a classic character like Twist takes a lotta guts.  I, myself, haven't read Oliver Twist, so I can't tell you how close to the original character Pilz remained. I also haven't read the previous two books in the series.  So pretending there are no other books, I'll just say this book is written very well.  Though reading the first books would be beneficial, they are not necessary to this novel.  The characters are well developed and the relationship between the two main characters is a very sweet and deeply loving ship.  The abuse can be a bit hard to take at times, but seems to build the relationship between the two to a deeper level for the reader.  I give it 4.5 stars.  I received this book from HF Virtual Book Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment