Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Little Soul in more Ways than One.

 April was a thinker.   The year's theme is discovery: of both the world and myself.  Now for the world I had decided to do religion for April.  I picked two of the big 5 because they were the most removed from what I know.  I picked Hindu and Buddhism.  I read Diwali, a children's book, because I figured it was as basic as you can get.  It was and I knew none of it.  I also read Letter to a Hindu and Dinner with Buddha.  For videos I watched on Great Courses: Hindu and the Vedas; Nationalization of Hindu; Three Baskets of Buddha; Pure land Buddha & Zen; Death, Rebirth, and Resurrection.  On Curious Stream I watched Ancient Genius: Buddha.  For audio I listened to:  Hinduism 101; Modern Buddhism; and Awakening of Buddha.  

There was a lot more of Buddha then Hindu.  Hindu is a more exclusive religion that has been politicized to the point where you can't really figure out why anyone would stay unless forced.  Buddhism is a religion that has branched off of Hindu.  Which I had no idea of.  It's a lot more relaxed and people oriented rather than controlling.  Kind of like a Jewish/Christianity relationship.  Connected and together, yet completely separate.  It was a fascinating discovery.  I loved learning about both.  Both religions are heavily reliant on meditation, which is something I discovered a couple of years ago.  I love mediation.  As an activity I did Vedic mediation and a couple of different Buddhist style meditations, as well as Buddhist mindful eating.  Great stuff really.  The more I did it the more I wanted to.  I will definitely be incorporating these styles into my practice. 

For discovery of self I wanted to study history of Passing for White.  While doing genealogy I discovered that a branch of my family had been going by either Negro or Mulatto as recently as my great-great grandparents.  So I wanted to learn more about the experience of people who had made the transition.  I read Sweeter the Juice and The Vanishing Half.  I watched Passing (the documentary, not movie); Netflix's Fredrick Douglass; and Hulu's Clotilda.  I listened to No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish; Girl Trek's Harriet Tubman and Bishop Tutu and Alice Walker; and Go(o)d Morning with Curlynikki.  

For my experience I dug out some of my grandmother's recipe's and made a "soulfood" supper.  I'm sure she wouldn't have called it that, but I wanted to connect with her.  I don't really remember her much.  She had a walker and she lived in a nursing home.  She had kinky curly hair.  Her name was Lily.  Spelled like the flower.  I made fried chicken marinated in sweet tea.  It was good!  I shoulda made that before! 

This was a pretty eye opening month.  I feel like I really learned and connected with my past and the world.  I don't think May is going to be able to contend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment