Friday, August 3, 2012

The Kennedy Club review

"The Kennedy Club" by GP Schultz was given to me free from www.librarything.com.  I received it in the beginning of May and kept putting off reading it.  Well, I shouldn't have.  It was a pretty good book.  There were only two things I didn't like about this book:  Schultz used the word ambition waaaaaay too much.  I started to think about getting a thesarus and finding a new word for ambition, but I was too lazy.  I just let it annoy me.  The other is I never came to like, Jack, one of the main characters.  Jack is a Harvard student who has set his life, and the life of all of his friends, to become president of the United States.  Everything about everyone he knows is built around that goal.  All the members of the Kennedy Club, the group of students who are dedicated to his presidency, live for this.  Literally.  I kinda hoped he wouldn't get president.  Emily is the main character.  Emily is in love with Jack and he with her.  But alas, he is too much of a slut to keep it together.  Jack is designed to be like John Kennedy.  The parallels are all there and written.  However, I kept thinking of the Clintons.  That's my era.  If fact I hadn't realized there were so many similarities between the two. 
This is a very well written book.  Some of it takes place in Kansas, so you know, I liked that.  I could tell the author was midwestern from the wording used.  Checked the printing, and yep, it was copywritten in Overland Park.  My neck of the woods.  The characters are exptremely well written and you feel you honestly know them all.  Good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment