Tuesday, August 19, 2014

annie's stories review

"Annie's Stories" by Cindy Thomson is the second in the Ellis Island series.  These are historical novels that do not necessarily need to be read in order.  The novel centers around Annie, an Irish immigrant in 1901.  Her father died before she left for the US and her uncle, who was then her guardian, placed her in a Magdalene Laundry. If you don't know what that is do a quick google search.  There is also a movie I would recommend.  It will appall you. She then immigrates to the US and stays with Mrs. Hawkings in her boarding house working as a house servant.  Her cousin (whom she does not like) soon follows her.  Annie also has what is probably PTSD from her time in the Laundry.  The story follows her as she deals with her past, her cousin, her mail delivering friend, and the women in the boarding house.  The women in the house live in a constant fear of being bullied by men.  And bully they do; whenever it benefits them.  I have never read a book about women either in the past or in another country that did not make me grateful to be an American born during my own time.  This book does the same.  The book is well written and researched, but because of the anger I felt when I read it, it was a hard book to read and found myself not really wanting to read it because of that.  I am not sure how to rate this book.  It is good, but not pleasing to read.  You will have to see for yourself. This book appeared on A Christian Writer's World blog.  I receive this book in exchange for my review from Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment