Monday, February 7, 2022

German Culture

 February is Culture.  I decided to split it into 4 cultures and learn a bit about each.  I'm going to report on each culture after a week to keep it less confusing.  At the end of the month I will do Medicine, specifically cardiology.  

The first week was Germany which I chose because my husband is of German decent and my uncle was there in the 40s.  Most of what you look up has to do with Nazis or beer.  So, number 1 rule: no Nazis or beer.  Since most of the pod casts and books have to do with Nazis, I decided to focus on activities that are a part of German culture.  

Exercise if very important in Germany as is cake.  In Germany they have Cake.  Like in England they have Tea.  So I exercised every day except 2 and ate cake at 3.  One of the days I missed exercising I went to a high school basketball game.  What I discovered there was that if you know you get cake at 3, it's not a big deal and since you are exercising everyday.  You don't have to feel guilty.  

Being on time is a big one.  I did that.  I'm pretty punctual anyway, so that wasn't a big deal.  Poetry is big, or so I read.  I found a book at my library, Contemporary German Poetry.  It's been translated, so I think it may be missing some flow and rhythm.  But it was nice.

I watched a lecture on Great Courses:  Tastes of Germany.  It's all about German wine.  Which I could care less about, but it talked about the regions and climates in Germany and how they affect the wine, and that was actually pretty interesting.  I also watched a couple docs on Curiosity Streams:  Wolves & Tanks, and Rescuing Bird Life. In one case, poachers took out the wolves until the two Germanys combined and set up regulations.  Now the wolves like to live on army bases where they train the tanks.  The birds are leaving Germany due to over farming the land and covering the greenery.  They are working on changing things so that the habitat the birds need will be available. 

So, now I have moved on to the Lenape or Delaware Indians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment