Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the covenant child review

"The Covenant Child" by Terri Blackstock is a wonderful book.  It follows the life of the "billion dollar babies" who happen to be penniless orphans raised by neglectful and abusive biological grandparents.  They are the grandchildren of billionaires whose mother dies shortly after their birth.  Their father remarries and then is killed in a plane crash with his parents.  His parents are the billionaires.  Their step-mother is in the process of adopting them at the time of the death, but their maternal grandparents step in with dollar signs in their eyes.  I normally do not like to read or watch stories where children are taken from their parents, whether they be biological or not.  I believe a child should not be separated from the one who loves and cares for them.  Lizzie and Kara, twins, are taken from the only mother they know and given away to strangers who happen to share genes.  In this case, everything is about the money.
When the girls turn 18, they come to a cross roads and one goes one way, one goes the other.  The story follows Kara, the prodigal child who chooses to not trust anyone and go for the greed.  One might wonder how she can be so dumb, but if you think back to your own mistakes, I am sure you can figure it out.  I did.  This is a Christian story but uses it to relate to real life and not get preachy.  It also talks a bit on abortion.  Kara feels guilt, but is not condemned.  I like where the author took that story line.  I would highly recommend this one.  I have read Blackstock before, but this one is my favorite from her.  I received this e-book for free from http://www.netgalley.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment