Monday, June 25, 2012

lilacs everywhere

I received "Where Lilacs Still Bloom" by Jane Kirkpatrick for free from bloggingforbooks.com.  I chose this book because of the cover and lilacs are my favorite flower.  This novel went waaaay more into lilacs than I thought it would.  This is a book for garden lovers.  I am more of a garden liker.  It's a good book, but it is very horticultural.  The book stars Hulda, a German immigrant who makes it her life's work to grow a beautiful garden better than originally intended.  She starts with apples and making them crisper, then moves on to flowers, namely lilacs.  She eventually creates 257 new types of lilacs.  Her main goal is to have a creamy white with 12 petals.  Kirkpatrick follows Hulda's life while life happens and she creates life in her garden.  The part that surprised me and impressed me the most was how she always thought her garden was just a little thing, but no one else ever did.  No one told her it was silly, stupid, or not worthwhile.  The only argument she got was when a local man accused her of playing with God's plan.  Hulda is a true story and it is a very impressive story.  She is a hero of her time.  A time when woman weren't considered valuable, she did what was exceptional.  She never let society stop her from doing what she loved.  I like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment