Monday, February 4, 2013

black history month

I received "Celebrating Black History Month" for free from www.netgalley.com.  This e-book is a collection of excerpts from novels and biographies written by Black authors or written about Black characters.  "Celebrating" includes 13 titles:  "America to the Backbone"; "The Confessions of Nat Turner"; "The Color Purple";  "Mumbo Jumbo";  "One More River";  "The Keepers of the House";  "The Children";  "Mohammad Ali:  His Life and Times";  "In Search of Bisco";  "The House of Dies Drear";  "The Water is Wide";  "Listen to Bob Marley";  and "Parable of the Sower".  I won't give you the scoop on all of them of course, but I'll tell you about my favorite, "Parable of the Sower" by Octavia Butler.  I was amazed by this excerpt.  Honestly, at first I thought it was historical, and then I thought, "no, it's science fiction, there's gotta be a catch".  And of course there was, but not where I was thinking.  It was futuristic.  And as they say, "those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."  The future was very much like the past.  I will definitely read her again.  Now to get on my soap box.  I don't think there should be a Black History Month, or a Women's History Month, or Native American, or whatever you got.  By doing so implies that it isn't important enough to mention unless someone makes them by calling it a month.  All history is history and all "kinds" of history should be incorporated throughout the curriculum throughout the year.  And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment