Sunday, October 23, 2011

the oprah effect? really?

I received "Where has Oprah Taken Us?" by Stephen Mansfield for free from http://www.booksneeze.com/.  This book is about Oprah Winfrey and her supposed "religions leadership".  This book is not really what I thought it was going to be.  For starters, though he doesn't really come out and bash Oprah, you get that negative vibe when you are reading.  I kept feeling like I had to defend, yes Oprah, but also, religion, women, and Christianity.  First of all, Oprah.  She has the right to worship however she wants.  America, duh.  Secondly, who put religion in these stupid little boxes anyway?  Three and most significantly, women.  Mansfield is concerned with Oprah leading millions of Americans into Oprah's brand of worship.  Let's face it, no testicle packing male is going to admit to watching Oprah so Mansfield is obviously talking about women.  On the one hand it is too risky to have an open mind and think for oneself/ on the other hand, we are too stupid to decide who to worship and how so we must blindly follow Oprah Winfrey.  Now, I am a fan and watched her show for many years, BUT, blindly follow her?  No.  She can be a little flaky and I kind of like to decide things for myself.   I am an educated person and have full brain power even with these pesky boobs and ovaries.  So............Skip this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment