Thursday, March 21, 2013

Marmee

"Marmee and Louisa" by Eve LaPlante is a duo biography of Louisa May Alcott and her mother, Abigail.  Let's start off with you should be a huge fan of Alcott if you are to read this book.  I have read "Little Women"; I love the '95 version of the movie; the story is one of the best stories written.  However, it doesn't make me want to know everything about the Alcotts and Mays and everyone who has ever been related to them in detail.  I didn't realize that all the credit went to Alcott's father, so I hadn't realized that Abigail didn't have a historical voice.  I always thought it was pretty obvious that Marmee in Little Women was Marmee, Louisa's mother, so of course, she had a historical voice.  Her father was just sort of there.  Therefore, I didn't realize that anything was missing.  I didn't need to read more on her to fill in the blanks, as I understood things, the blanks were filled.  I felt the book was a little boring and filled in a few too many blanks.  Read this if you are a dedicated, die-hard, Alcott fan.  If you think its a great story and you feel you know all you need to know about Marmee:  skip it, and just read "Little Women" again.  That's the real treat.  I received this book from www.edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment