Friday, December 21, 2012

sleeping

It is 1914, World War I, France; an American Volunteer soldier is desperately looking for a way home.  He has stopped receiving any word from his wife and knows he needs to go to her.  His wife has what is called Lethargica, which is a mysterious disease that was randomly claiming victims during the WWI and Spanish flu days.  Lethargica is when the victim can hear and feel everything, but cannot move, answer or perform basic functions (blinking, toilet, etc).  This is a love story as well as a history lesson on the unusual.  At first it comes off kind of stuffy and overly-descriptive.  I even looked up amazon.com to see if it was going to get any better.  I saw lots of stars and rave reviews.  So I kept reading.  After the first 3 or 4 pages the reader will fall into a rhythm with it and fall in love with it.  Wonderful, yet heartbreaking story.  I received this e-book for free from www.librarything.com

No comments:

Post a Comment