Thursday, June 28, 2018

Sleepy

One of the first things I read about when I started all this healthy stuff was on the American Heart Association site and it was about sleeping enough and quality of sleep.  Normally I like to stay up late.  When I had my heart warrior 13 years ago she like to stay up late too.  And get up early.  And take breaks all night long.  She also didn't nap.  Between the baby, the other kids, the job, and a non-assisting husband, it would not be an exaggeration to say that I didn't sleep for 4 years.  I was exhausted!  I was probably mentally unstable.  I gained over 50 pounds.  It was a nightmare.  When she finally started sleeping, which was after her Fontan, I could sleep anytime, anywhere.  There was never enough sleep.  It probably took 8 years or so to catch up.  Remember, I still have the same job, other children, house, etc.  But once I caught up, I liked to stay up late.  So, when I read about the health benefits to sleeping regularly, I followed the steps and for a few months, I slept well.  I felt better rested, felt better in general.  I liked regular 7-8 hour sleep.  This June has been a nightmare for my daughter.  With the burns, the surgery, and the computer going out two days into this, she has been an anxiety ridden child.  Hell, even I am having trouble dealing with this, and I'm not the one that is hurt.  I looked over my sleep log and realized, my sleeping has been tossed to the way side.  Even when I try to follow the steps (which lately I haven't much); I can't get to sleep.  I can't stay asleep.  She can't either.  Never pass up the opportunity to sleep.  Those are wise words that I am passing on to you.  Live by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment