Friday, March 30, 2012

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall review

Margaret Macy is your typical spoiled rich girl.  She lives in the 19th century England in a wealthy family with servants, boarding schools and the like.  However, even the rich have their problems.  Margaret's mother married a scoundrel, Sterling Benton, who gambled all his money and is now looking to scam the Macy women out of theirs.  He has a nephew that he wants Margaret to marry, but she has her sights set elswhere.  Margaret overhears a plan the two men cook up to rape her and pressure her into marriage with the marriage being the only way to save herself from the scandel of the rape.  She runs away from home and hides with another family discising herself as a servant.  Through her servitude she learns a great deal about humanity, kindness, and what is important in life.  One thing I can always say when I finish a Julie Klassen novel is that I am really glad I was born in my own time.  Being a woman of the 19th century must have really stunk. 
"The Maid of Fairbourne Hall" is a really interesting story.  The subject matter is rather unusual.  Most 19th century novels show only the rich and the servants are rarely mentioned.  If they are, they tend to be loyal to the masters and find them of "quality" and "class".  Never sounded very true-to-life to me and this book tends to agree.  The maids in this book feel and think exactly how I have always felt about all my bosses.  I don't think "quality" was a word I ever used to describe them.  It tends to get a little long. Still a pretty good book.  I received "The Maid of Fairbourne Hall" by Julie Klassen for free from Bethany Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment