Saturday, September 8, 2018

Three Things I take for Granted

List three things I take for granted........ I take living in America for granted.  Do you have any idea how lucky I am?  We have people burning their Nike's for crying out loud!  There are parts of the world where they would loooove to have some clothes, let alone Nike's.  It is a country where a man can kneel at the flag in protest of something he has every reason in the world to be pissed about and he cannot be arrested.  Hated, yes.  But punished, no.  Is he still struggling, you betcha.  But he can go on and spread his message. 
I take being a woman for granted.  Now, you might think, and correctly so, that being a woman would kind of suck.  Physically and socially it is no picnic.  But, it has it's perks.  For instance, I can pretty much get what I want from my husband by standing near him while he is sitting down.  The right set of mammary glands will go a long way.  And at my age, I am basically invisible.  Being 45 is practically a superpower. 
I take being a mom for granted.  Being a mom is hard work and it can be easy to forget how wonderful it is.  I have three wonderful kids and four amazing step-kids.  Each child is such a wonderful gift and I haven't appreciated how fabulous each one is.  There are women who struggle to have children, biological or not.  There are women whose children do not turn out as planned (I don't mean they are wrong, but are lost to world or suffering immensely themselves).  There are women who have buried their children.  Mine are all here.  Mine are all well.  They are not perfect nor are they what I would have planned, but they are doing what makes them happy.  And that is something I should never take for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment